Lorena Garcia's Crispy French Toast
Dredging the bread in crisp cereal crumbs adds a crunchy coating to this melt-in-your-mouth dish.
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
6 thick slices white bread, crusts removed and cut diagonally in half
4 cups cornflakes cereal, finely crushed
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine milk, half-and-half, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, and vanilla; whisk until Splenda® Granulated Sweetener dissolves. Add eggs, whisking until blended.
- Dip bread into the milk mixture; dredge in cornflakes cereal. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon over 6 plates. Arrange 2 toast triangles in the center of each plate. Arrange strawberries around toast; top toast with a small scoop of vanilla yogurt. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 320 | Calories from Fat 80 | Fat 9g (sat 4.0g) | Cholesterol 155mg | Sodium 460mg | Carbohydrates 45g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 11g | Protein 12g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.