Pineapple Plantain Muffins
Plantains are baked and folded into the muffin batter with pineapple in this brightly flavored muffin.
1 large ripe plantain
1/4 teaspoon light butter
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour plus
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons light butter
3/4 cup Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/3 cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
2 egg whites
1 egg yolk
8 ounces light vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small ripe banana, mashed
3/4 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 cup sliced almonds, for garnish
- To prepare plantain: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Slice skin of plantain and spread teaspoon butter and cinnamon on top. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool. Remove from skin and set aside.
- To prepare muffins: Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into small bowl. In large bowl, cream butter and Splenda® Sugar Blend and Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend. Add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, mashed banana, and plantain.
- Fold in flour mixture. Fold in pineapple.
- Line muffin pans with paper liners. Fill each liner about 2/3 full. Top with sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 15 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 muffin): Calories 210 | Calories from Fat 30 | Fat 3.0g (sat 1.0g) | Cholesterol 20mg | Sodium 135mg | Carbohydrates 38g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 20g | Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.