Poached Pear Halves with Red Wine Sauce
This dessert is a stand out and it's so simple too. The sauce, made with red wine and apple juice, adds to the flavor and to the presentation.
2 cups dry red wine
1 cup apple juice
2 cinnamon sticks
1 whole nutmeg
6 pears, peeled, cored, cut into halves
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1/4 to 1/3 cup Equal® Spoonful™
- Heat wine, apple juice, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg to simmering in large skillet; add pear halves with cut sides down. Simmer, covered, until pears are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove pears to serving dishes; discard spices.
- Heat wine mixture to boiling.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into boiling mixture. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat; let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in Equal®Spoonful™ ; spoon sauce around pears. Garnish with mint sprigs.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (2 pear halves): Calories:150, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Protein: <1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Fiber: 4 g, Total Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 6 mg.
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Fruit.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.