Richard Leach's Fresh Melon with Lavender Sabayon
Light sabayon pudding is scented with lavender and served over sweet melon cubes for an elegant low sugar dessert.
16 cups ripe melon, any assortment, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup creme fraîche
- Place yolks, Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, lemon, lavender and 1/4 cup heavy cream in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat water in the bottom half of a double boiler over medium high heat until simmering. Pour sauce into the top of a double boiler and place over the simmering water. Cook 50 to 60 seconds, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken and reaches 170°F (80°C). Remove from heat immediately. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Pour remaining cream and the creme fraîche into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together until blended. Slowly stir cream mixture into egg yolk mixture. Stir, using a whisk, until blended.
- Pour Sabayon through a fine strainer to remove lavender flowers.
- Place melon into eight serving dishes. Pour sabayon over melon and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 350 | Calories from Fat 250 | Fat 27g (sat 15g) | Cholesterol 240mg | Sodium 35mg | Carbohydrates 25g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 23g | Protein 6g.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.