Spring Fling Layered White Cake
Lovely layers of white cake are split and filled with strawberries and apricot preserves for a festive springtime dessert.
1 1/2 cups Splenda® Granular
3 3/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
7 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup light butter, softened
1 cup Splenda® Granular
1 pound fat-free cream cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup reduced sugar apricot preserves
1 pint strawberries, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly spray two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- For Cake: Sift flour. Mix Splenda®:, flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar together in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until ingredients are blended. Add softened butter. Mix on low speed until butter is very finely distributed (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add egg whites. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl. Mix on medium-high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until batter is light and well blended. Scrape sides of bowl. Add buttermilk and extracts. Mix on medium speed until blended.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 20 to 25 minutes or until edges of cake appear slightly dry. Allow cake to cool in pans 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks until ready to ice.
- For Icing: Beat softened butter and Splenda®: briefly in a medium sized mixing bowl (until SPLENDA is just incorporated). Add cream cheese. Mix until lump free (about 1 minutes) Scrape sides of bowl and add vanilla. Mix well.
- Assemble cake. Slice cooled cake layers in half. Using a serrated knife slice cakes in half horizontally, to create 4 cake layers.
- Place 1 cake layer on cake stand or plate. Spread 1/3 of the preserves over the cake layer. Top with 1/3 of the strawberries. Repeat process until all layers are assembled.*
- Ice cake.
Makes 18 (1/2-inch thick slice) servings.
*Decorating Tip: Professionals create flat cake tops by using the bottom layer of a cake for the top tier. This creates a nice flat surface for icing. The remaining cake bottom can be used as the first layer of the cake and the remaining 2 cake layers can be placed in the middle (top side down).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/18 of recipe; 1/2-inch slice): Total Calories 280, Calories from Fat 110, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Sodium 340 mg, Total Carbohydrate 35 g, Dietary Fiber 0 g, Sugars 1 g, Protein 10 g.
Exchanges Per Serving: 2 1/2 carbohydrate, 2 fat.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.