Stephen Pyles' Black Bottom Pecan Pie
This deliciously rich southern favorite has just gotten better with the addition of chocolate.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
3 tablespoons ice water, or as needed
1 teaspoon Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
5 teaspoons whipping cream
9 tablespoons Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup pecan halves
- For Crust: combine flour, salt, and shortening with a pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball; chill.
- Roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; trim off excess pastry. Fold edges under, and crimp. Place in refrigerator.
- For Filling: preheat oven to 475°F (160°C).
- Combine Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, chocolate, and whipping cream in a small heavy saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until blended. Pour chocolate mixture in bottom of chilled pie crust; spread evenly. Place pie crust in freezer for 5 minutes to set chocolate.
- Combine Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend, corn syrup, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Gradually add butter, beating at low speed until blended.
- Remove pie crust from freezer. Arrange pecan halves over chocolate layer; pour filling over pecans. Bake for 5 minute, reduce heat to 300°F (150°C) and continue baking for 1 1/2 hours, or until the center is set. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 580 | Calories from Fat 300 | Fat 33g (sat 10g) | Cholesterol 100mg | Sodium 135mg | Carbohydrates 63g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 34g | Protein 6g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.