Summer Fruit Trifle
Truly a dessert masterpiece, this summer trifle features layer upon layer of fresh fruit, custard and cake. Serve in a clear bowl to show off its refreshing beauty.
1 (18.25-ounce) package light yellow cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
3 large egg whites
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 to 3 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
1 cup skim milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 to 4 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
1 cup raspberries
2 nectarines or peaches, sliced
1 medium banana, sliced
1 pint blueberries
Light whipped topping
- For Cake: Make cake mix according to package directions, using water and egg whites; bake in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Cool on wire rack. Cut half the cake into 1-inch cubes (freeze or reserve remaining cake for another use).
- For Strawberry Purée: Process strawberries in blender or food processor until smooth; stir in Equal® Spoonful™.
- For Custard: Heat milk just to boiling in small saucepan; remove from heat. Mix eggs and flour in small bowl. Stir about 1/4 cup hot milk into egg mixture; stir egg mixture into milk in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool until warm; stir in nutmeg and Equal® Spoonful™ . Refrigerate until chilled. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- To Assemble: Layer 1/3 of the cake cubes in bottom of 2-quart glass serving bowl. Spoon 1/3 of the custard and strawberry purée over cake and top with 1/3 of the raspberries, nectarines, banana and blueberries. Repeat layers 2 times.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with whipped topping.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 175, Saturated Fat: <1g, Protein: 4 g, Cholesterol: 36 mg, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Fiber: 3 g, Total Fat: 3 g, Sodium: 178 mg.
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Skim Milk, 1 Starch, 1 Fruit.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.