Whole Wheat Soda Bread
Wheat germ-enriched whole wheat soda bread.
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
1 1/2 cups 1% buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. In a large bowl, combine the remaining all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, salt, and soda. Using your fingers, work the unsalted butter into the flour mixture, rubbing the butter/flour mixture between your thumb and fingers. Make a well in the center.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Pour into the well in the flour mixture; stir until dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Do Not over mix.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle with the reserved 2 tablespoons flour. Gently knead 3 or 4 times. Shape into a 8-inch circle. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut an X on the top of the loaf all the way to the sides. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 400°F (205°C). Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until loaf is well browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a rack to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf; 22 (1/2-slice) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/22 of recipe; 1/2 slice): 87 calories (13% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 12 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium.
Food Exchanges: 1 Bread/Starch.