Bean Pot For A Crowd
This wholesome and satisfying smoked sausage and three bean dish—kidney, pinto and lima—is served atop creamy polenta.
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into scant 1/2-inch slices
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
2 (29-ounce) cans reduced-sodium whole tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed, drained
1 (8.5-ounce) can baby lima beans, rinsed, drained
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
6 cups water
2 cups white or yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook sausage in oil in large Dutch oven until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, green pepper, jalapeño chile, and cumin seeds; cook over medium heat until onions are tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except Creamy Polenta; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon Creamy Polenta into bowls; spoon bean mixture over.
- For Creamy Polenta: Heat water to boiling in large saucepan; gradually whisk in cornmeal and salt. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with pepper.
Makes 8 servings.
- Can be made up to 2 days in advance; refrigerate, covered.
- Make polenta just before serving.
- Purchased prepared polenta can also be used.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Dry Bean Board.