Beef Tortilla Pizza
This simple and flavorful Tex-Mex tortilla pizza is perfect for a light lunch or supper.
1 pound 95% lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
4 flour tortillas, or 4 English muffins, halved
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until ground beef is cooked.
- Pour off drippings and blot with paper towel. Stir in oregano.
- Lightly brush tortillas with oil. Bake tortillas on 2 large baking sheets in 400°F (205°C) oven for 3 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture evenly over top of each tortilla. Top with an equal amount of tomato. Sprinkle with basil and cheeses.
- Return to oven and bake 12 to 14 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Especially for the kids - Ask mom or dad to cook an extra pound of lean ground beef ahead of time. After drippings are poured off, separate the ground beef into four plastic baggies and keep in the freezer. These can be taken out of the freezer, reheated in the microwave, and used in this recipe for a short cut.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 397 calories, 34g protein, 26g carbohydrate, 14g fat, 6g sat. fat, 4mg iron, 574mg sodium, 84mg cholesterol.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.