Cajun-Style Smoked Sausage & Peppers Confetti Rice
A colorful skillet supper with rice, smoked sausage and the Cajun flavor trinity of onion, celery and bell pepper—and just enough spice to give it some kick.
1 pound smoked sausage such as andouille or kielbasa, diced (about 1/2-inch pieces)
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 to 1 1/4 cups)
2 stalks celery, diced (about 2/3 cup)
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1/2 each of a red, yellow and green bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 1/2 cups total)
1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
2 cups water
2 teaspoons chicken base or bouillon granules
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
1 teaspoon Cajun spice mix, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons canola oil or bacon grease
- Prepare the sausage, onion, celery, garlic and peppers; set aside.
- Measure the rice; set aside.
- In a 2 cup glass measure, combine water, chicken base and Tabasco sauce; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Cajun spice mix, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil or bacon grease over medium-high heat; add the onions, celery and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, just until onions have softened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds.
- Add the diced sausage and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Pour in the liquid mixture, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. (Do not lift cover or stir during the 20 minutes.)
- When done, remove from heat, remove the lid and stir to fluff.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 490.7 calories; 69% calories from fat; 37.6g total fat; 80.6mg cholesterol; 1467.5mg sodium; 443.6mg potassium; 21.3g carbohydrates; 2.1g fiber; 3.1g sugar; 19.2g net carbs; 16.1g protein.