It doesn't get much quicker or easier than this recipe to make a satisfying, kid-pleasing meal.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 pound ground beef
1 1/2 cups water
1 (7.25-ounce) package macaroni and cheese dinner
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
8 to 10 dill pickle slices (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings.
- Stir in water and macaroni; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 7 to 8 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Stir in contents of cheese sauce packet, butter and milk. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve beef mixture topped with pickle slices, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 540 calories; 29 g fat (14 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat); 116 mg cholesterol; 505 mg sodium; 36 g carbohydrate; 1.1 g fiber; 32 g protein; 8.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 19.8 mcg selenium; 5.6 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.