A delicious way to sneak veggies into your family's diet.
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
5 ounces fresh spinach, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup vegetable or tomato juice - divided use
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the vegetable or tomato juice and the ketchup. Set aside.
- Combine all other ingredients and mix well. Form into a loaf and place in a 1-quart loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until center of meat loaf reaches 160°F (70°C) on an instant read thermometer.
- Top with reserved ketchup mixture during last 5 minutes of cooking.
Makes 6 servings.
- Frozen spinach that has been thawed and squeezed dry can be substituted for the fresh spinach.
- Gentle handling when mixing the ground beef with the other ingredients will ensure a moist, tender meatloaf.
Recipe courtesy of Beef It's What's For Dinner.