One-Dish Beef Stroganoff
All the ingredients in this quick and easy recipe, including the noodles, are cooked together in one skillet.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.
1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
1/2 pound sliced button or cremini mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 cups uncooked whole grain wide noodle-style pasta
1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup regular or reduced-fat dairy sour cream, plus additional for topping
1 tablespoon regular or coarse-grain Dijon-style mustard
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef, mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking Ground Beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Stir noodles and broth into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 9 to 10 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring twice. Stir in peas; continue cooking, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until peas are heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup sour cream and mustard. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with additional sour cream, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Variation: 1 pound boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1-inch thick may be substituted for ground beef. Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8-inch thick strips. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Keep warm. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in same skillet. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and begin to brown. Add noodles, broth, garlic and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover and cook as directed in Step 2, returning beef to skillet and stirring in peas as directed. Remove from heat and continue as directed in Step 3.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 93% lean ground beef): 444 calories; 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 86 mg cholesterol; 616 mg sodium; 48 g carbohydrate; 6.6 g fiber; 38 g protein; 14.4 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.7 mg iron; 25.0 mcg selenium; 7.8 mg zinc; 101.2 mg choline. This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using top sirloin steak): 457 calories; 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 82 mg cholesterol; 322 mg sodium; 48 g carbohydrate; 6.6 g fiber; 39 g protein; 17.8 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 4.5 mg iron; 36.7 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc; 118.3 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.