Quiche with Wild Rice
Next time you prepare wild rice, make extra and store it in your freezer to have on hand when when recipes, like this one, call for small amounts of cooked rice.
1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell
1 cup cooked wild rice
1/3 cup chopped cooked ham, sausage or bacon
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
5 large eggs
3/4 cup light cream or milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Bake prepared pie crust for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C). Spoon the cooked wild rice into the crust.
- In a skillet, sauté the ham, sausage or bacon with the onion until meat is cooked and onion is tender. Drain. Spoon over wild rice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt, mustard, pepper and tarragon together. Pour into the crust. Spread shredded cheese evenly over top and sprinkle parsley over the cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
Makes 6 servings.