Cherry-Bright Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate cake-like brownies flavored with almond extract (or cherry brandy) and strewn with chopped maraschino cherries.
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon almond extract or 2 tablespoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup chopped slivered almonds
Additional maraschino cherries, halved (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 9-inch square baking pan.
- Lightly press cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In small bowl, beat butter, sugar and eggs until creamy. Mix in corn syrup, almond extract and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended. Stir in cherries and almonds; pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Frost, if desired. Cut into squares.
- Garnish with additional cherries, if desired.
Makes about 16 brownies.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.