Chocolate Filled Walnut-Oatmeal Bars
Walnut and oat cookie crumb-topped bars with a creamy chocolate filling.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon powdered instant coffee (optional)
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts - divided use
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs, vanilla and instant coffee, if desired; beat until fluffy.
- Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, salt and 1 cup walnuts; gradually stir into butter mixture with spoon. (Dough will be thick.) Set aside 2 cups dough.
- Press remaining dough evenly onto bottom of ungreased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- Prepare CHOCOLATE FILLING; spread evenly over dough.
- Crumble reserved dough evenly over filling. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown (chocolate will be soft). Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.
- For CHOCOLATE FILLING: Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in cocoa and sugar. Add sweetened condensed milk; cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
Makes about 4 dozen bars.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.