Layered Apricot Snacking Bars
These layered apricot bars are simply irresistible!
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S Premier White Chips - divided use
1 (6-ounce) package dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour - divided use
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons honey
1 large egg white
1/2 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Set aside 1/3 cup white chips for glaze.
- Stir together apricots and water in small bowl; cover. Let stand 5 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat margarine, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together 1 cup flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to margarine mixture, beating until well blended.
- Stir in remaining 1 2/3 cups white chips; press mixture onto bottom of ungreased 8-inch square baking pan. Spread softened apricots over cookie base.
- Stir together wheat germ, remaining 2 tablespoons flour, honey and egg white until blended; crumble over apricots.
- Bake 30 minutes or until wheat germ is lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, stir together reserved 1/3 cup white chips and shortening. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds or until chips are melted when stirred.
- Using tines of fork, drizzle mixture over top; let stand until glaze is firm. Cut into bars.
Makes about 16 bars.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.