Nostalgia Date-Nut Loaves
Old fashioned date nut quick bread is given a new taste with a flavor make-over from the yummy addition of semisweet chocolate chips. A great gift idea!
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup dates, chopped
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Pour water over dates in medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease four 3 1/4 x 5 3/4 x 2 1/4-inch foil miniature loaf pans.
- Beat sugar, egg, oil and vanilla in large bowl on high speed of mixer 3 minutes.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add alternately with dates to egg mixture, beating until blended. Stir in walnuts and small chocolate chips.
- Pour about 1 1/4 cups batter into each prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
Makes 4 loaves (32 servings).
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.