Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
Delicious AND low-fat chocolate and banana cupcakes, drizzled with a simple powdered sugar glaze.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) container plain lowfat yogurt
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
White Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line muffin cups (2 1/2-inches in diameter), with foil bake cups.
- Stir together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir together yogurt, banana, milk, oil and vanilla; set aside.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating well after each addition until stiff peaks form.
- Stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture until moistened; fold in one-third of egg white mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Drizzle White Glaze over tops of cupcakes. Let stand until set. Store, covered, at room temperature.
Makes 20 cupcakes.
White Glaze: In small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 3 to 4 teaspoons warm water; beat until smooth and of desired consistency.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.