Chocolate Strawberry Whipped Cream Cake
Four layers of chocolate sponge cake filled with strawberry whipped cream and topped with a chocolate glaze.
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Strawberry Whipped Cream Filling (recipe follows)
Royal Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan. Line with wax paper; grease paper.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl on high speed until very thick and cream colored, about 5 minutes; gradually beat in sugar. Stir in water and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating just until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately invert pan onto linen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar; carefully peel off wax paper. Invert onto wire rack covered with wax paper. Cool completely.
- Prepare Strawberry Whipped Cream Filling.
- Cut cake into 4 equal rectangles, 10 x 3 1/2-inches.
- Divide filling into thirds and spread evenly on 3 rectangles, leaving 1 plain rectangle for top. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- To assemble, stack layers on top of each other with plain cake layer on top.
- Top with Royal Glaze; refrigerate until ready to serve. Cover; refrigerate leftover cake.
Makes 8 servings.
Strawberry Whipped Cream Filling: Rinse, hull and slice fresh strawberries to equal 1 cup. Puree strawberries with 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Strawberry Syrup until liquid in food processor or blender. Sprinkle 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin over mixture. Let stand until gelatin is softened, about 5 minutes; puree again for several seconds. Pour into medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds to 1 minute, until mixture is hot, not boiling, and gelatin is dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Beat 1 cup cold whipping cream until stiff; fold in strawberry mixture.
Royal Glaze: Place 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/4 cup whipping cream in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds to 1 minute until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Cool slightly until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.