Great American Chocolate Cherry Cake
Hershey's great American chocolate cake is built with two layers and filled with sweetened almond-flavored whipped cream and maraschino cherries. Easily add a patriotic flair to this cake with the addition of fresh blueberries as a garnish.
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon each almond and vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups dairy sour cream
2 (10-ounces each) jars maraschino cherries, drained, rinsed and divided use
Whipped Cream Filling (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round layer pans.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, almond extract and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to butter mixture, alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Lightly press cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Prepare Whipped Cream Filling.
- To assemble, place one layer, rounded side down, on serving plate; spread with 1/2-inch layer of whipped cream. Reserve 12 cherries; place remaining cherries over top. Place second layer, rounded side up, on top of cherries; spread and garnish top with remaining whipped cream. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
- Garnish with reserved cherries. Cover; refrigerate leftover cake.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Whipped Cream Filling: In large bowl, beat 2 cups cold whipping cream, 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract until stiff. Use immediately.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.