Hershey's Lavish Chocolate Cake
A splendid chocolate layer cake spread with black raspberry preserves, filled with cocoa mousse and topped with chocolate ganache.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 4 tablespoons seedless black raspberry preserves
Cocoa Mousse Filling:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
2 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 cup cold whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Sweetened whipped cream
Additional HERSHEY'S Cocoa (optional garnish)
Fresh raspberries (optional garnish)
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line bottom of three 8-inch round baking pans with wax paper. Lightly grease sides of pans.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute or until melted; stir in sugar. Add milk, vinegar and vanilla to butter mixture; stir until blended.
- Add dry ingredients; whisk until well blended. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; gently peel off wax paper. Cool completely.
- Prepare Cocoa Mousse Filling.
- For Cocoa Mousse Filling: Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small bowl; let stand 1 minute to soften. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear. Cool slightly. In small mixer bowl, stir together sugar and cocoa; add whipping cream and vanilla. Beat at medium speed of mixer, scraping bottom of bowl occasionally, until stiff; pour in gelatin mixture and beat until well blended. Refrigerate about 20 minutes. Makes about 2 cups filling.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread 2 tablespoons preserves over top. Carefully spread half of filling over preserves to within 1-inch of edge. Refrigerate about 10 minutes.
- Place second layer on top; repeat procedure with remaining preserves and filling.
- Place remaining layer on top. Refrigerate while preparing Chocolate Ganache.
- For Chocolate Ganache: Heat 1 cup whipping cream in heavy saucepan over low heat until warm. Add 1 1/2 cups HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips; stir constantly just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Do not let mixture come to a boil. Transfer mixture to medium bowl; refrigerate until of spreading consistency, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Spread ganache over top and side of cake. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- At serving time, garnish with sweetened whipped cream; sift cocoa over top. Refrigerate leftover cake.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.