Italian Celebration Cake
A ready-made pound cake is sliced into 3-layers, sprinkled with an orange liqueur, then filled with ricotta cheese laced with candied fruit and chocolate chips and frosted with a creamy cocoa-mocha frosting.
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 3/4 cups (15-ounce container) ricotta cheese, well drained
3 tablespoons candied fruit
3 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur*
1 (16-ounce) frozen loaf pound cake, thawed
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons warm water
2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
- Slice top and end pieces from pound cake to form rectangle; cut slices crosswise to form 3 equal layers. Sprinkle top of each layer with liqueur; set aside.
- Place sieve over top of medium bowl; using rubber scraper, press ricotta cheese through sieve. Fold in candied fruit and chocolate chips.
- On heavy duty foil, place bottom cake layer; spread evenly with half of cheese mixture. Place second cake layer over cheese mixture; spread with remaining cheese mixture. Top with third cake layer. Press down lightly on layers; wrap tightly in foil. Refrigerate until well chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
- Prepare COCOA-MOCHA FROSTING.
- FOR COCOA-MOCHA FROSTING: In medium bowl, beat butter until creamy. In small cup, combine water and instant coffee; stir until dissolved. Stir together powdered sugar and cocoa; add alternately with coffee mixture, beating until smooth and creamy. Makes about 2 cups frosting.
- Unwrap assembled cake; place on serving plate. Cover top and sides with frosting; cover and refrigerate. Cut into slices; store leftovers in refrigerator.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
*Note: Orange juice can be substituted for liqueur.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.