Holiday Spiced Pumpkin Freezer Spread
This delicious, spiced pumpkin spread makes a very welcome homemade holiday gift.
2 cups canned pumpkin purée
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar, measured into separate bowl
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 pouch liquid pectin
5 (1 cup) plastic containers, washed and dried thoroughly
- In a large bowl, measure 2 cups pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spice; stir in sugars. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice and pectin until well blended. Add to pumpkin mixture; stir 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Fill the plastic containers to within 1/2-inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours.
- Spread is now ready to use.
- Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 1 year.
- Thaw in refrigerator before using.
Makes about 5 (1 cup) containers.