Orange Walnut Holiday Bread with Sweet Marmalade Butter
This deliciously moist, orange-scented walnut quick bread, accompanied with sweet marmalade butter, makes a very welcome treat or gift during the fall and winter holidays.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup orange juice
Zest from 1 orange
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups walnuts, chopped
Orange Marmalade Butter:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- For Bread: Heat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Grease bottom only of two (9x5x3-inch) loaf pans or five (5-1/2x3-inch) mini loaf pans. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and 1 cup Butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs; mix well. Add Sour Cream, orange juice and orange zest; mix well.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda; beat until mixed well. Gently stir in nuts.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes in 9x5x3-inch pans, or 35 to 45 minutes in mini loaf pans or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- For Orange Marmalade Butter: Combine 1/2 cup Butter, powdered sugar and marmalade in small mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, until creamy. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
Makes 2 large or 5 mini loaves.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.