Arroz con Pollo
Arroz con pollo (chicken with rice) is a classic Spanish dish very popular throughout South America.
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1/4 cup olive oil
3 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into serving pieces
2 onions, chopped
2 small green bell peppers, chopped
3/4 pound plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
4 teaspoons paprika
3 cups short grained rice
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup thawed frozen peas
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Set a rack over a saucepan of boiling water, put the saffron in a saucer on the rack, and let it steam for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is brittle. Remove from heat and crumble saffron in the saucer. Set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat until it is hot, and reduce the heat to medium-low heat. Fry chicken for 15 to 20 minutes, turning to brown all sides, until cooked through, transfer to a bowl.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet, add the onions and bell peppers and cook over medium heat heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, paprika, and the saffron. Cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add the broth, heat and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Transfer the rice mixture to a shallow 5-quart baking dish; arrange the chicken over it.
- Bake a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for 15 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the peas over all. Return to oven and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Makes 6 servings.