Kheer Indian Rice Pudding
Basmati rice pudding, with chopped pistachio nuts, flavored with cardamom and rosewater.
1/2 cup basmati rice
3/4 cup water
1 quart half-and-half (light cream)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom (remove seeds from enough pods to measure 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
1 teaspoon rosewater
- Wash rice well and soak in water to cover generously for 15 minutes. Drain rice.
- Place rice in saucepan, add 3/4 cup water and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook gently until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In large saucepan, combine half-and-half, sugar and cardamom seeds.
- Stir in rice. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 1 hour, stirring to prevent sticking. (Don't try to hurry this part.)
- Cool to room temperature. Stir in pistachios and rosewater. Chill.
Makes 8 servings.