Carrot & Sweet Potato Tzimmes
Tzimmes is often part of the Rosh Hashanah meal, when it is traditional to eat sweet and honey-flavored dishes. Traditionally sliced in rounds, carrots bring to mind gold coins, symbolizing the hope of prosperity in the year to come.
1 pound carrots, pared and cut into 1/2-inch slices
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
12 pitted prunes
1/4 cup orange juice
3 tablespoon margarine, melted
1/4 cup honey
- Place prepared carrots and sweet potatoes in large pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, but not soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Arrange the carrots, sweet potatoes and prunes evenly in a greased casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the orange juice with the nutmeg, melted margarine and honey. Pour over the carrots, sweet potatoes and prunes.
- Cover and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.