Grilled Rack of Lamb over Rosemary Fig Sauce
Marinated and grilled rack of lamb served with a flavorful sauce composed of figs, red wine, herbs and barbecue sauce.
3 cups extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 cup fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 cup each fresh thyme and fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 racks of lamb (8 to 10 ounces each)
1 cup fresh* figs (about 8 ounces) - divided use
1 small shallot, chopped fine
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups lamb or chicken broth
4 long sprigs of fresh rosemary; for garnish
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- In bowl large enough to hold lamb, combine all ingredients for marinade; mix well. Add lamb, turning to coat well. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- For Fig Sauce, stem and quarter 1/2 cup figs. Cook with shallot in hot oil for 10 minutes. Add rosemary and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Stir in red wine and broth. Simmer gently until reduced by half.
- Drain lamb. Reserve marinade.
- Grill lamb 4 to 6 inches from hot coals, basting with reserved marinade, for 6 to 8 minutes on each side until desired doneness. Discard unused marinade
- To serve, remove stems and quarter remaining 1/2 cup figs. Add to sauce. Reheat. Divide and spoon onto individual serving plates. Place rack of lamb on top. Garnish with rosemary.
Makes 4 servings.
*Note: Substitute 6 ounces dried figs, stemmed and quartered. Cook all at once and keep warm.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Sheep Commission.