Artichoke, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pizza
Pizza with a veggie heart and a touch of attitude!
1 pound purchased pizza dough (or 1/2 recipe Pizza Dough 4-Ways)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 medium garlic cloves
2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
12 large fresh basil leaves
Pinch kosher or sea salt
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
3 to 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and cut into thin slices
2 ounces baby spinach leaves, thoroughly washed and dried
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered*
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded, cored and chopped
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- For Pesto: Place all ingredients in a blender or small food processor and blend well.
- If you have one, place a pizza stone on middle rack of your oven. Preheat oven to 500°F (230°C).
- Roll or stretch pizza dough out on a lightly floured work surface to a 12-inch circle and transfer to a lightly-floured pizza pan, wooden pizza paddle or baking sheet.
- Brush dough with the pesto and scatter the sliced sun-dried tomatoes around the pizza. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over top, next layer the whole spinach leaves, then scatter with the artichokes and crumbled goat cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, carefully removing pizza from pan or paddle after about 7 minutes to allow pizza to finish baking directly on the stone (or oven rack) for a crispier crust.
- Remove pizza from oven and place back on the pizza pan/paddle that has been sprinkled with a small amount of cornmeal. (This technique helps to absorb most liquid and condensation that can form under a pizza once it is cut.) Garnish with the sliced green onions and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
*Or used water-packed canned artichokes, drained and rinsed, or marinated if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 276.1 calories; 55% calories from fat; 17.5g total fat; 25.4mg cholesterol; 273.8mg sodium; 282.7mg potassium; 18.2g carbohydrates; 2.4g fiber; 1.1g sugar; 15.7g net carbs; 12.8g protein.