Baked Polenta with Asiago and Mushroom Sauce
Baked polenta, infused and topped with Asiago cheese, is served with an Italian tomato and mushroom sauce.
6 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups polenta-style (coarse) corn meal
2 cups shredded Asiago cheese - divided use
1 (8-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
1 pound medium mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (16-ounce) jar fresh-style spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- For Polenta: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring the water to a boil; add the salt. Add the cornmeal slowly, stirring constantly. Cook, continuing to stir, until the polenta begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Stir in half of the cheese.
- Pour into a buttered 8x8-inch baking pan. Bake until firm, about 35 minutes.* Cool for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese after 25 minutes. While the polenta bakes, make the sauce.
- For Sauce: Puree the peppers in a food processor or blender; reserve.
- Over high heat, brown the mushrooms in oil. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, place the reserved pepper sauce, spaghetti sauce, water, and rosemary. Simmer over medium heat until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in the reserved mushrooms and the parsley.
- To serve, cut the polenta into pieces; serve topped with the sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
*This recipe may be prepared ahead to this point. Once the polenta has cooled, store tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 weeks. Return to room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.