Baked Portabella with Cheddar-Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
24 (about 2.5-ounces each) Portabella mushrooms (stems reserved for other use)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound 5 ounces shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
3 quarts well-seasoned hot garlic mashed potatoes
Thinly sliced chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Melt butter.
- Brush each portabella cap with butter; season well with salt and ground black pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet pan.
- Bake at 500°F (260°C) until mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes; reserve.
- Stir 1 pound 2 ounces cheese into mashed potatoes until incorporated thoroughly.
- Fill each Portabella cap with 1/2 cup mashed potatoes; sprinkle top with 1/2 tablespoon reserved cheese.
- Heat mushrooms in 500°F (260°C) oven until heated through, about 5 minutes; sprinkle with chives.
Makes 24 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.