Assemble this savory cheese and egg bread pudding several hours to overnight prior to baking.
8 slices day-old bread
1 1/2 packages (7 ounces each) Wisconsin Baby Edam or Gouda cheese
1 tablespoon chopped onion
3 large eggs, well-beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Spread bread slices with butter. Trim crusts from 3 slices of bread, set trimmed slices aside.
- Arrange the untrimmed bread slices and remaining crusts in a buttered baking pan.
- Thickly slice the cheese, layer over bread. Sprinkle with the chopped onion. Arrange trimmed bread slices over the cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, blend beaten eggs into milk. Add seasonings.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for several hours.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 50 to 60 minutes or until set.
Makes 5 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.