Baking the eggplant slices instead of frying them keeps both fat and calories in check.
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup crushed saltine crackers (28 crackers)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick (1 pound total)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- In a small bowl combine egg, milk, and pepper. In another bowl stir together cracker crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and dried parsley flakes.
- Dip eggplant slices in the milk mixture to coat, then dip both sides in the cracker mixture.
- Lightly coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange eggplant in dish.
- In a bowl stir together tomato sauce, oregano, and garlic; pour over eggplant.
- Bake, covered, in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): calories: 249, total fat: 9g, cholesterol: 85mg, sodium: 1095mg, carbohydrate: 28g, protein: 15g.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.