A jar of ready-to-use marinara sauce puts the easy into this great recipe for the classic Italian dish, eggplant Parmesan. Serve with a side of your favorite pasta.
4 medium eggplants
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil for frying
1 (24 to 26-ounce) jar marinara or spaghetti sauce (about 3 cups)
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons butter
- Peel the eggplants and cut them lengthwise in slices. Set the slices in a pasta colander; sprinkle with salt and let them stand for about 1 hour.
- Pat the slices dry and dredge them in the flour.
- In a large skillet, fry the slices in hot oil until golden on both sides. Season with pepper.
- Line the bottom of a buttered 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with a layer of fried eggplant slices. Top with a layer of the marinara sauce, mozzarella, Parmesan, and basil. Continue building up layers of eggplant, marinara, cheeses and basil. Dot the top with butter.
- Place in the preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for about 15 minutes. Allow to set for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.