Eggplant rolls, filled with a savory mixture of three Italian cheeses and capers, and baked in marinara sauce.
1 large eggplant
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
About 1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) container ricotta cheese
4 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1 tablespoon capers
1 (16-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- Cut eggplant lengthwise in slices. Salt lightly and allow to sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse slices and pat dry with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Season eggplant and dip in flour. Sauté till golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta, mozzarella, basil and capers. Season with salt and pepper. Place several tablespoons of filling on one end of the eggplant slices then roll up and secure with wooden picks.
- In a lightly greased casserole dish, spread about 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce. Place rollatini in dish and cover with remaining sauce. Bake for about 40 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.