Heavenly Layered Veggie Bake
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
8 ounces angel hair pasta
4 large egg whites
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup low fat Ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
4 slices reduced-fat provolone or mozzarella cheese
- Prepare angel hair pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, Parmesan cheese, Ricotta cheese and basil; stir to mix; set aside.
- When pasta is completely cooked; drain, but do not rinse; toss in egg white mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil; add zucchini and onion; sauté until crisp tender; about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring regularly. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning; continue cooking for another 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Pour half of pasta in an 8-inch square baking pan. top with half of vegetable mixture ; half of both cheese. Repeat layers of pasta, vegetables and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cut baked dish into 4 squares and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 506; Total Fat: 17g; Cholesterol: 38mg; Total Carbs: 58g; Protein: 33g; Sodium: 604mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.