Herbed Spinach Quiche Portabella Caps
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
4 portabella mushrooms, 3-inches in diameter
3 large eggs
6 large egg whites
1/2 cup whole wheat grated bread crumbs (panko)
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 teaspoon low-sodium garlic and herb blend (such as Mrs. Dash)
1 cup cooked chopped frozen spinach, drained with excess liquid squeezed out
1/2 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese - divided use
- Place oven rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove portabella stems; wipe clean with damp paper towel. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray, and place mushroom caps on baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients, except 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Coat 10-inch non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium flame. Cook and scramble egg mixture until it just starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Using a large spoon, scoop partially-cooked, hot egg mixture into portabella caps. Sprinkle tops with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 190; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 145mg; Total Carbs: 14g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 17g; Sodium: 330mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.