This Mediterranean-style quiche, with zucchini, sweet red pepper, artichoke hearts and a crispy hash brown potato crust, is served with an Italian-style tomato sauce.
3 1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 cups thinly sliced and quartered zucchini
1 cup diced sweet red pepper
1 cup chopped oil-packed artichoke hearts, drained
4 large eggs
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon each dried crushed basil and oregano
2 cups prepared tomato sauce, warmed
Salt and ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Evenly coat a 10-inch quiche or pie plate with cooking spray, Spread potatoes to cover bottom and sides of dish; lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake until potatoes are lightly browned and crisp, about 30 minutes.
- In large skillet, melt butter; cook onion and garlic until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in zucchini, pepper, and artichokes, cooking until crisp-tender; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cheese, basil, and oregano; season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in vegetables and pour into potato shell.
- Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with 1/2 cup sauce over each portion.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 388, Protein 19 g. Carbohydrates 55 g, Total Fat 12 g, Cholesterol 229 mg, Sodium 980 Mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board.