Olive and Leek Prassopitta
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1/3 cup olive oil
2 quarts chopped leeks (white and tender green part only)
1 (6-ounce) can California Ripe Olives, drained and halved
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped dill
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
10 (14x18-inch) phyllo (filo) pastry sheets (8 ounces)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium sized saucepan. Stir in leeks, cover and cook over low heat for 5 to 6 minutes Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Add California Ripe Olives, feta, egg, parsley, dill and lemon juice to cooked leeks. Season mixture with salt, nutmeg and pepper and set aside.
- Cut phyllo pastry in half lengthwise to make 20 (14-inch by 9-inch) rectangular sheets. Brush the bottom and sides of a 11x9x2-inch baking pan with olive oil. Place a sheet of phyllo pastry on top. Brush with olive oil and repeat until ten layers are assembled.
- Spoon leek mixture over pastry crust. Place remaining phyllo sheets on top, brushing oil between each sheet. Trim excess phyllo around edges of baking dish and score top with approximately six evenly spaced incisions to vent while baking.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to cool, then cut into serving portions. Serve warm or cool.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.