Pasta and vegetables tossed in a tomato cream sauce with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese and garnished with toasted pine nuts.
1 cup snow peas
1/2 cups asparagus tips
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup tiny peas
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 cup peeled and seeded tomato chunks
3/4 cup heavy cream, warmed
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 pound spaghetti or fettuccine, cooked al dente
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Steam the snow peas, asparagus, broccoli, and peas until crisp-tender. Set aside and chill until ready to assemble the dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet and sauté the mushrooms and zucchini over medium heat until tender. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small skillet and sauté the tomatoes over medium heat until their liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cream into the tomatoes and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan and sauté the pine nuts over low heat until they are aromatic but not brown. Set aside.
- Add the steamed vegetables to the pan containing the mushrooms and zucchini and cook briefly until warmed through. Salt to taste.
- Add the rest of the cream to the vegetables and heat until the cream is hot but not boiling.
- Add the pasta to the vegetables, then the basil and Parmesan as needed. Gently stir in the tomatoes and cream mixture and sprinkle the pine nuts over the top.
- Serve immediately as warm plates and pass around additional Parmesan at the table.
Makes 6 servings.