Speedy Swiss Stuffed Eggplant
Microwave-fast and tasty stuffed eggplant.
2 eggplants (about 1 pound each)
1/2 cup sliced green onions, including green tops
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup tomato juice or water
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
2 cups seasoned croutons
2 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Swiss cheese -divided use
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Halve eggplants lengthwise. Loosen and scoop out pulp leaving shells about 1/3 inch thick; reserve shells.
- Coarsely chop pulp; combine in 2 quart microwave dish with onions, garlic, tomato juice and oil.
- Microwave, covered with plastic wrap, on high 2 minutes. Mix; microwave, covered, 2 minutes longer.
- Add croutons, 2 cups of cheese, the thyme and pepper. Toss to mix. Spoon into eggplant shells, dividing equally. Sprinkle tops with the remaining cheese. Dust with paprika.
- Place on microwave platter, spoke fashion. Microwave on high power 8 minutes, turning a quarter turn every 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.