Beef Breakfast Pizza Olé
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage:
1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 (11-ounce) package thin-crust refrigerated pizza dough
3/4 cup diced seeded tomatoes
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
Salsa verde for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Make Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage: Combine ground beef, chopped fresh sage, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Stir in salsa verde.
- Meanwhile, unroll dough on greased baking sheet. Pat or roll evenly to 14x10-inch rectangle, pinching together any tears.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top evenly with beef mixture, tomatoes and cheese. Make four "wells" in beef mixture and crack one egg in each "well."
- Continue to bake in 425°F (220°C) oven 13 to 18 minutes or until desired doneness of egg is reached.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with green onion. Cut into four wedges.
- Serve with additional salsa, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 454; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 285mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 37g; Sodium: 1294mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.