Chili Chops Aïoli
Making the most out of your weekend meals is easy with the variety of flavorful ingredients available today. For cooks looking to spruce up weekend family dinnertime, try these chops to add a little variation to the family-favorite pork chop by serving with black beans and topping with a saffron-infused garlic aïoli.
6 pork loin chops
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 cup dry sherry
3/4 pound black beans, soaked overnight and drained
1 1/2 quarts pork stock
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
For Saffron Aïoli:
A few threads of saffron
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 fresh avocado, peeled and sliced for garnish
- Mix chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt in a small bowl. Season chops with mixture.
- Heat oil in a 16-inch or large saute pan over high heat. Sear chops on both sides; remove to sizzle platters and place in a 450°F (230°C) oven and roast to an internal temperature of 155°F (approximately 65°C), about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve chops with a portion of the Black Beans, and garnish plate with dollops of the Saffron Aïoli and avocado slices.
- For Black Beans: Heat oil in a 2 1/2 quart saucepan over medium-high heat; saute onions and garlic for 20 seconds. Add cumin and curry powder; deglaze pan with sherry; add beans and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are soft (about 2 1/2 hours). Season with salt and thyme. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- For Saffron Aïoli: In a small bowl, soften saffron in some warm water. Stir saffron into mayonnaise with garlic and curry powder. Place in a plastic squirt bottle and refrigerate until serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 617 calories Protein 45 grams Fat 38 grams Sodium 1692 milligrams Cholesterol 114 milligrams
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.