Baked Potato Salad with Aged Cheddar
A hearty, roasted red potato salad with smoked bacon crumbles, green onions and aged cheddar cheese, simply dressed in sour cream. Recipe by Chef Kent Rathbun.
2 pounds red potatoes, washed
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
4 teaspoons kosher salt - divided use
8 ounces smoked bacon, diced and cooked crisp - divided use
1 cup sour cream
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded Wisconsin Aged Cheddar Cheese
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Toss potatoes, canola oil and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in large bowl. Place potatoes on rimmed baking sheet, and bake until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- When potatoes are baked and cool enough to handle, quarter them or cut in large chunks and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add bacon (reserving 1/3 cup), sour cream, green onions and Wisconsin Aged Cheddar. Season with remaining kosher salt and black pepper. Fold all ingredients carefully, being careful to leave the potatoes chunky.
- Scatter reserved bacon over. Best served warm.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.