Carr Valley Bessie's Blend® Cheese Salad
An elegant first course salad created by Chef Adam Siegel.
4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
8 (1-ounce pieces) Carr Valley Bessie’s Blend® Cheese
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Zest of 1 navel orange
Segments of 2 navel oranges, peeled
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1/2 pound baby arugula, washed and stemmed
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C).
- Place tomatoes on baking sheet, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper. Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until dehydrated by 50%. Tomatoes will turn darker red with brown spots. Remove from oven; let stand at room temperature.
- Place vinegar in small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until reduced by half. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to BROIL. Place cold cheese on nonstick baking sheet; broil briefly until slightly melted.
- Whisk reduced vinegar, oil and orange zest in bowl until emulsified. Add arugula and toss; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on plates.
- Arrange orange segments and tomatoes on plates. Top with cheese and sprinkle with pine nuts.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.