Citrus and Papaya Salad
For an easy meal, serve this sunny salad with ham or turkey and steamed broccoli.
1 teaspoon finely shredded Florida Orange Peel
1/4 cup Florida Orange Juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seed
2 Florida Red Grapefruit
1 head Belgian endive
Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
1/3 cup sliced almonds (optional)
Red-tip Belgian endive leaves (optional)
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine orange peel, orange juice, vegetable oil, and poppy seed. Cover and shake well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Seed, peel, and slice papaya lengthwise. Peel, section, and seed the grapefruit.
- Slice the Belgian endive crosswise into 8 pieces.
- Line 4 salad plates with the Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves. Arrange the papaya slices, grapefruit sections, and sliced Belgian endive atop the lettuce leaves.
- Sprinkle with almonds, if desired. Shake dressing well; pour over each salad. Garnish each serving with the red-tip Belgian endive leaves, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Florida Department of Citrus.