Ginger Tempura Chicken and Watercress Salad
with Creamy Lemongrass Dressing
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless
Creamy Lemongrass Dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
3/4 teaspoon Asian fish sauce or oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup lime-flavored seltzer water
3 cups canola oil, for frying
8 cups watercress, arugula or mixed salad greens
1 cup diced fresh or canned pineapple
1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts, toasted
- Slice chicken into 3/4-inch strips horizontally across the breast. Set aside. In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients for lemongrass dressing; pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- In large saucepan or deep fryer, place oil and heat oil to 350°F (175°C).
- In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for tempura batter.
- Dip each piece of chicken into batter, allowing excess to drip off. Gently lower battered chicken into hot oil and fry for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, turning once during cooking. Chicken will need to be cooked in a few batches, as pieces should not touch. (Chicken will not brown; it will remain a pale tan color.) Remove chicken to paper towels to drain.
- In large serving bowl, place salad green, pineapple pieces and pistachios. Add dressing and toss well to coat. Place chicken over greens and sprinkle with toasted pistachios.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 850; Total Fat: 59g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Total Carbs: 41g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 43g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.