Grilled Boston Lettuce
with Blue Cheese-Bacon Dressing
Now here's a recipe that takes the classic wedge salad to a whole new level of taste, texture and temperature! Buttery wedges of Boston lettuce are quickly grilled just to add a touch of char, and served with a warm and creamy blue cheese dressing with crisp applewood smoked bacon crumbles.
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup (6 ounces) crumbled blue cheese - divided use
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 slices applewood smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled into medium pieces
4 heads Boston lettuce, rinsed and dried
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
3 medium tomatoes, sliced
Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in 3/4 cup of the blue cheese, immediately reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the sour cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, and bacon. Keep warm.
- Cut each head of lettuce in half through the core, leaving the core intact. Brush all sides with the olive oil. Grill each half over medium heat for 45 seconds on each side.
- Place each lettuce half on a serving plate; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Garnish with the tomato slices; sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup blue cheese to the dressing; mix well. Ladle the warm dressing over the lettuce.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.